Day 1 of (1, 2, 3, 4):
With most of the East Coast ski resorts closing (around DC, anyway), it's
time to head somewhere with more snow. With an incredible 1140" of snow
in 1998-99, Mt. Baker sounds promising. After working a full day thursday,
flying to Seattle, meeting up with Marc at the airport, driving to Greg's
place, and getting a couple minutes of quality sleep, it's time to head
to the mountain.

It became immediately clear how Baker got it's 1140 inches of snow a few
seasons ago. The warm, moist, cloudy Seattle weather quickly turned to wet
snow as we ascended up toward Baker, and the snow just got thicker the
higher we went on the mountain.

The lifts were a bit primitive, but they served their purpose well.

We worked our way from White Salmon Day Lodge over to the C-1 lift, and
skied Pan Face and The Chute most of the morning. Marc coming down Pan
Face through the fresh powder.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Greg had a more difficult time with his long and narrow skis.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Greg in the powder.

Marc and Greg poking their skis through a nice drift.

I got stuck and had to dig my way through the drift. It made for a nice
place to relax when I was done.

Enough ralaxing. Time to descend from the drift.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Resting by a tree.

Greg ready for more snow.

Marc in the distance.

Marc going down through the trees.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

We decided to try a new route down, farther to the left, and stopped to
survey the snow below. When we were getting ready to head down, we
realized that we were on top of a cornice. The snow was so thick in the
air that we hadn't even noticed it.

Greg and I debating what to do about the cornice.

I decided to use it for some nice air. I jumped off the top and waited for
the landing...and waited... It was a bit more of a drop than I had
expected, and with the snow I couldn't really see the landing.

Yeah, sure I landed it alright...and that's my other jacket, the white one.

Greg's turn for some fun.

Close-up of the snow from the board's perspective.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

After lunch it was time for some steep and deep. We rode C-5 and explored
above the cliffs until the end of the day. I distinctly remember the
pleasant feeling of snow brushing against my chest as I made one of my
toeside turns here.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Greg slicing through the snow like a knife through white butter.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

I loaned Greg my white jacket for this run.

It's not easy to get up or move around in snow this deep.

Marc cruising in the powder.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Farther down we hit a steep and narrow section. Normally this would be
fine, but with the lift closing in 5 minutes we were kind of in a hurry to
get down, so falls were not allowed.

Marc having his way with the final chute down to the lift.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Greg heading down. We made it to the lift at 4:01, as the patrollers were
all in a huddle at the bottom of the lift. Luckily they let us on for the
final run back to the car.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

Marc took the back seat/trunk on the way in, and got some good sleep. On
the way back it was my turn. I had a nice view of where we had just been
until I fell asleep.
(AVI, MPEG movie)

More Pictures